About Messer Pond
Aerial photograph of Messer Pond taken by Scott Brown, October 1999
Messer Pond - New Londonís Small Treasure
Located in the heart of New London, nestled between Bog Road and County Road, this natural, 67 acre pond is home to approximately 50 families. With a maximum depth of 25 feet and a mean depth of 9 feet, this warm water pond offers some of the best fishing in the Dartmouth/Lake Sunapee region. With over a dozen varieties of fish, including large and small mouth bass, pickerel, perch, pumpkin seed, and newly stocked rainbow trout, fishermen return annually to Messer Pond for the thrill of catching such a wide variety of fresh water fish. The tranquil surroundings make it a perfect home for a variety of wildlife - ducks, herons, turtles, otters and beavers. Loons visit every year providing hours of enjoyment for residents - and some competition for fishermen! Messer Pond's public access boat launch is located at the pond's outlet on Bog Road.
Messer Pond Facts and Figures
Size: 67.5 acres
Elevation: 1105 feet
Maximum Depth: 25.1 feet
Mean Depth: 8.6 feet
Shoreline: 10,560 feet
Watershed Area: 1422 acres
Messer Pond flows into Clark Pond which flows into Lion Brook and the Kezar Lake watershed
and serves as a tributary to the Contoocook River and finally the Merrimack River
Town of New London Properties on Messer Pond
Tax Map, Location
|Messser Pond Conservation Area||
093-013, County Road
|Messer Pond Island||
105-001, Messer Pond
History of Messer Pond
Prepared and presented by Karen Haskell at the MPPA charter meeting on May 4, 1996
Originally the town was called Heidleburg. On June 25, 1779 the name was changed to New London. A warrant was issued and Mr. Samuel Messer was authorized to call a meeting to choose town officers. Mr. Messer called a meeting for August 3, 1779 in which 13 voters met at Squires home on Messer Hill, which now Knights Hill, to elect officers and conduct business. Messer Pond was named after Samuel Messer who was the first selectman of the town and who owned land down to the pond.
The hurricane of '38 was an important time in the history of the pond. On September 21 the largest lumber program in the town's history took place. During the hurricane 20 million board-feet of lumber and 10,000 cords of wood were leveled. Total cost exceeded $100,000. For many months after Messer Pond and Otter Pond were storage basins for thousands of saw logs. You can still see the eye bolts in rocks along the shore where the booms were hooked to bring the logs to the mill. The mill was located behind the third house on the north end of the pond and a bottle dump is located by the sand pit (old pottery and bottles can be found). Much of the tannin on the bottom of the pond is a result of loosened bark from the 10,000 cords of wood stored here.
The Cricenti family acquired the pond property and Forest Kimball purchased it from them. He was told that he was crazy and that the land would never sell. They were right. Lots priced at $600 did not sell. Only when he raised the price over $1000 would they sell. Kimball gave each one of his kids a lot but only the Haskells built. They had no electricity and built a log cabin on the north end of the pond in 1957. In time the road (now Forest Acres) was built behind their cabin.
In the 1960's Bruce Haskell made a request to stock the pond with fish. The state granted the request and stocked the pond with bass.
In 1979 the first annual fishing derby was held for the boy scouts. This became an annual event for about 10 years. It was held each March and 25-50 boys participated. Plaques were give for the largest fish caught.
In 1995 the Town of New London approached several residents to suggest forming a protective association for the pond. A general meeting of pond-side dwellers was held, a steering committee was formed and the charter meeting with the election of officers was held in May 1996. Thus began the Messer Pond Protective Association formed to serve, promote and preserve the recreational and natural resource interest of the pond and adjoining areas.
Approximately 60 people attended the first annual meeting (business and social) at a July 1996 picnic. Initiatives taken by the MPPA during its inaugural year included:
1. Monthly water quality monitoring;
2. Providing members (77 at that time) guidance on the care and pumping out of septic systems;
3. Representation at several New London Planning Board meetings such as a non-compliance deck construction hearing and the granting of several new shorefront building lots;
4. Meeting with Bell Engineering Company to review plans on the land development overlooking and adjacent to the northeast side of the Pond (Woodland Trace extension and Meadow Lane - now Fieldstone Lane);
5. Joining the New Hampshire Lakes Association.
In the following year, 1997, on June 30th, MPPA was incorporated as the Messer Pond Protective Association, Inc. In 1999 MPPA was granted 501(c)(4) tax status as a non-profit.
Messer Pond Protective Association
P.O. Box 103
New London, NH 03257
Copyright © 2005 - 2013 by Messer Pond Protective Association